Sunday, April 26, 2015

Settings

     In the last couple stories we read the setting has been set immediately.  Most of the settings have involved dark mysterious, gloomy feeling. The setting has definitely not been a good happy feeling vibe.  I guess a lot of your writers back in those days were feeling more depressed or had a dark thought of mind.  The one example would be the Edgar Allen Poe short stories never did he start with a bright sunny clear day.  Instead Poe started with on a dark gloomy night.  The setting immediately puts you in the mood of the story you are about to read.  I feel like this is an important part of every story to get you in the mood, and will also give you an idea if this is the story you want to read.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the setting being important to giving the reader an idea of whether or not the story is one they want to read. I personally don't mind reading a dark story. The only thing that turned me off was the old, dated language many authors back then used. I have to keep a dictionary near by to look up words I don't know.

    ReplyDelete