Friday, March 13, 2015

MISLEADING STATISTICS

This post came very easy to me, because when we wrote our Doc 1.  My Doc 1 researched the use of excessive force by police in the United States.  The statistics are so misleading in this case, because only cases that are recorded are those the departments decide to report.  Therefore how can we take in to consideration any of these facts.  There is no effort at all for the department to refuse to report a case that may show excessive force was used that may hinder that department's name.  Dr. Sedlack taught me last semester in my Research and Analysis class.  This taught me how statistics are only as strong as the sources utilized of which the data was pulled from.  A great example is a poll being done by ATT service, and they ask everyone who currently has ATT service instead of also surveying holders of Metro, Sprint, T-Mobile, and any other service that is offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment