Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Stereotyping by Appearance

Everyone is guilty of it from one view or another, when we see a person and he or she is dressed a certain way, or look a certain way, we immediately classify that person in a certain group.  This may be the case whether we see a person wearing shirts with the rebel flag and jeans most will probably say he is a redneck.  Then there is the person who has dreads or gold teeth in his mouth is automatically classified as a thug or a gangster.  Finally we see people dressed in all black and wearing vampire lookig clothes we immediately think satan.  These are just very few of the many stereotypes out there.  I am guilty of the first stereotype, whenever I used to see a person wearing jeans boots, shirts with rebel flags I immediately thought oh this must be a racist redneck, the main reason is this is what I was basically taught growing up in Riviera Beach, Florida where there is no rednecks.  However once I went to the military and interacted with different groups of people I found my thinking to be completely wrong.  I quicly learned that not all rednecks are racist.  I now associate with all kinds of people and learn a lto from being around the different variations of people. 

1 comment:

  1. Very good reference to illogicially thinking. Clothing styles are such an easy way to stereotype. Unfortunately, we are all quilty :(

    ReplyDelete